Share This

Tuesday, 12 April 2011

Why your pitch paragraph is so important


A lot of writers struggle with the "pitch" section of their query letter. I know, I used to be one who did. But as I wrote more and more of them (you will still need them even when agented), I started to really enjoy and appreciate them.

Pitch paragraphs are not only useful for an agent/editor. They are vital for you. The pitch paragraphs will sum up the arc of your story—introduce main characters, identify conflict/present problem, identify quest/goal. This is the easiest way for you to begin thinking about the structure of your novel. To keep the overall idea in your mind in its simplest form.




Then, while writing, you can refer back to it in order to make sure you're on track. Some authors write out the entire synopsis and plan the sequences of their novels—including key climax scenes and starting & finishing points per Act—but I do only a limited amount of planning, and that planning usually begins at the pitch paragraph level.

I am a pantster turned plotter, and I'm still finding the formula that works best for me. But if you're the plotting type, take a look at Alexander Sokoloff's blog—she details everything you need or could ever possibly want to know about plotting.

Don't, however, forget the usefulness of your pitch paragraphs.

Good luck!

<3

9 comments:

  1. I'm a panster turned plotter too! You make an excellent point about the pitch helping you maintain focus and keep on track. I start working on a pitch mid novel for that very reason!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah... i need to work on this! eeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I'm not near the querying phase yet, it's a good idea to start practicing my pitch paragraph. It's a great revision tool. It helps me see where my story is going and if it's tight enough yet.

    I'm a plotter, and I'm fascinated by other writer's techniques. So thanks for the blog link!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday and I appreciate the comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Heather—Absolutely. It's seeing your novel simpered down into it's most basic form, which in itself is vital for me when I start to go a little too off target.

    @aspiring_x—let me know you need someone to have a read of it. :)

    @Laura—ooh, I do envy you. I think I would much rather be a plotter. I have to submit proposals for my work, particularly when my agent wants to pitch a multi-book story, and writing the synopses for books 2, 3 or even 4 can really test my brains ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa...I'll bet Weronika beat all that pantzin' right outta you!!! I sat in her plot class at the DFW Writers Conference and she's pretty hardcore about it...in the very BEST way, of course! I actually needed the kick in the pants myself **smirk**

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOh yes, she is certainly a super-girl of the publishing world, I'll tell you! So much made sense after working with her, and now I can ACTUALLY plot . . . *gasp* I know. Weronika has such a sharp mind when it comes to this stuff and I am sooooo soooo sooooo lucky that she chose to take me on and that she believes in my work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Before I start a rough draft, I always write the pitch paragraph so I know the hook and gist and meaning of the story. Very useful when I'm in the middle of the book and need a reminder of the feel I'm going for :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Lynn—absolutely! :) So nice to see so many in favor of the pitch paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think pitch paragraphs are essential for me. I can't begin a story without at least a paragraph outlining the story and possible conclusion or at least the major plot of the story, but then it's by the seat of my pants after that :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

wibiya widget

Share |