There is a book that I consider my current magnum opus. Mainly because I've been trying to get it right for five long years. The concept itself has existed a lot longer–its life is ten years older than the words that make it up.
This novel used to be both the bane and light of my life.
It has had approximately seven different openings. It's been written in third person and in first. It's been written in past tense and in present, and from different points of view. It's been rewritten from top to bottom so many times that I'm beginning to lose count.
Why? Is it a bad book? Too complicated a concept? A project that, really, should be shelved?
To all of the above, no. It's simply that one book that will take over your life completely until you get. it. right. We all have one of those, don't we?
Every time it came to edits on this particular novel, there would be a few elements—sometimes even simply one element—that wasn't working. And edits would require an overhaul, or major edits which I would need to weave through the entire book.
This is where outlining comes in handy. For those writers out there who are major potter/planners, this will be a no-brainer. For us more pantster types, well, sometimes the obvious needs restating.
It is a lot easier to edit a detailed outline than to rewrite the entire novel. An outline does not have to predate the existence of the novel. I'm finishing up the outline to this novel after five years. But getting the outline into shape will ensure that this edit will be THE edit. The last one, at last.
So give the outline a good go, it could save a lot of time! :)
Happy trails everyone!
D
Tuesday, 11 September 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
This debate has been going on for a while now, and I wanted to add my two cents. Many people out there in the wide world believe that sex ...
-
Hey y'all!!! So, as part of this blogfest, hosted by Leigh and Lydia , I am going to post my most awesome WRITER JOKE . yep. you hea...
-
Right now, I'm sitting at my desk with a sheet strung across the window. I'm staring at the start of two books, either of which may ...
-
I love the line drawings in the classics and think it is a real shame that popular books now don't tend to have them. I recently finishe...
-
First, some appropriate tunage. They would make excellent paparazzi. No one would ever suspect that face! SPIES. Who could decipher their pu...
-
Have you guys seen THIS ??? It is a 10,000+ page book!! "The binding measures 8 1/2 x 11 x 24 inches and is possibly the thickest sing...
-
Hey guys! Well, here we are, the Pay it forward blogfest, hosted by the amazing Alex J. Cavanaugh ! So, there are so many wonderful blogger...
Agreed my lady, and I can't wait to see where our super outlining takes us! Also....can I just say how impressed I am that you've stuck by this book's side for so long?! YOU ROCKETH.
ReplyDeleteThank you sweets! Yeah, the whole "SHELVE THIS SHIT ALREADY" voice in my head was gagged and locked away for torture later. . .
Deletei like this blog
ReplyDeleteSatta king