Or, really, the red pen...
So, this was the problem: I had a book. And the first third of said book was about one and a half times as long as the second part of said book, and about twice as long as the third part of said book.
Also?
Parts of it were really, really, really boring.
In came the red pen.
For this surgical procedure, I needed to do several things:
1. Go through the first part and decided what was absolutely ESSENTIAL for driving the plot forward (remembering that I can TRUST my readers, and they have pretty awesome brains and instincts and intuitions without me to help them along)
2. Re-ordering certain scenes in the book to make them more efficient (this was a slight bother, since I had already put all my date indexes into the scenes all nice and pretty and in order, but c'est la vie! Totally worth it.)
3. Putting the scenes into a new Word .doc to prevent a huge, messy, spagettified muddle
4. Reading over part 1 in its new incarnation and seeing if it makes sense. (It does, thankfully)
5. BUT. It was still a little slow in parts, which means MORE CUTTING
The weird thing is, I actually LOVE doing this. This surgical, technical part of creating a book. The part that is invisible to most readers (as it should be). I know that every hour I spend getting this perfect is an hour well spent. Because, at the end of the day, I want to write a GOOD book, not just any old book.
And, when you read it, I want you to really love it, and slip along with the story, not be bogged down by endless narration that doesn't need to be there.
So, guys, this is for you. A day of manuscript surgery. And I'm loving every minute!
Saturday, 26 October 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
This debate has been going on for a while now, and I wanted to add my two cents. Many people out there in the wide world believe that sex ...
-
Hey y'all!!! So, as part of this blogfest, hosted by Leigh and Lydia , I am going to post my most awesome WRITER JOKE . yep. you hea...
-
Right now, I'm sitting at my desk with a sheet strung across the window. I'm staring at the start of two books, either of which may ...
-
I love the line drawings in the classics and think it is a real shame that popular books now don't tend to have them. I recently finishe...
-
First, some appropriate tunage. They would make excellent paparazzi. No one would ever suspect that face! SPIES. Who could decipher their pu...
-
Have you guys seen THIS ??? It is a 10,000+ page book!! "The binding measures 8 1/2 x 11 x 24 inches and is possibly the thickest sing...
-
Hey guys! Well, here we are, the Pay it forward blogfest, hosted by the amazing Alex J. Cavanaugh ! So, there are so many wonderful blogger...

I love that you find this process satisfying. You never cease to inspire me. Love you! x
ReplyDelete