Share This

Monday, 16 August 2010

Plotting: The Importance of Film

Plotting, structure and pacing seems to be on everyone's mind these days, and rightly. Plotting is an important part of the writing process, as is the structure of the novel. Everyone does it differently, I'm sure, but there are a few handy tools and guidelines that can help.

If you missed it, check out Weronika Janczuk's wonderful three-part post on plot and pacing on the writeoncon website - see part 1 here. And, for a personal favorite of mine, check out Alexandra Sokoloff's website to see her ideas on story structure and the importance of screenwriting techniques. She also has some pretty handy advice about the three-act structure.

For me, one of the things I did when I first started out, was I looked at films. I watched films with a critical storytelling eye, I looked for the key plot points, I analyzed character development, I analyzed the climax and the final scenes. I looked at everything I could. I watched films twice, three times, five, ten, twenty times (you think I'm kidding..?) until I began to understand the mechanics of the story.


I did the same with books. Some of my books have been read dozens and dozens of times over many years because I am looking for specific clues about the way the novel is structured. (Here is where having an obsessive personality comes in handy, and I do love obsession).

For me, writing has been a labour of love, but also an educational journey. When I first began I had no clue, and trust me, I am still learning. There are all kinds of tools and books and blogs and websites that explain and detail what you ought to be doing, but just remember: sometimes you just need to study something for yourself. To look at a film, book, short story - and to analyze it and find the patterns on your own.

Because that is when things begin to really stick and become ingrained.

And yes, do read books about craft, because writing is a craft and should be done with care and flare. :)

Happy plotting everyone! I'm off to analyze a film now. I promise, I am working...... ;)


Blogger Templates

Blogger Templates

2 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, yes, film is so important to novel-writing. THANK YOU for just saying it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy someone agrees! (I was told off for this once, by a nasty English Teacher I had when I was 11. :'( ) But I stick to my guns. Film is a valuable tool. As is screenwriting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

wibiya widget

Share |