Share This

Wednesday, 31 August 2011

What the novel puzzle looks like when it's finished



So, my novel puzzle is finally complete! *Happy Dance* I'm going to show you guys what mine ended up looking like.

I have two POVs in this particular manuscript, which adds an added dimension of complexity, because I have to match each character's experience with the timeframe experienced by the other.


Making Use of Color:


Character 1 Scenes = White
Character 2 Scenes = Turquoise

Aspiring_x over at Hairnets & Hopes mentioned the dreaded PH (*whispers* plot holes). I had a few of those as well, and this is how I solved the problem:

Plot holes/Fillers = Yellow


The Process:


I wrote down each chapter in my book (sometimes this amounted to several scenes, but it just made organization easier—plus I knew most of my scenes lumped together in chapters wouldn't change order, as I had done this puzzle exercise before. That time, it was a lot more involved.).

I did this for both of my characters (White and Turquoise), and then I cut them up and placed them on my desk in the order in which they currently appear.

From here I could play around with the order of events (the main issue with this round of edits) and insert (yellow) any scenes that were missing and/or ways in which I needed to enhance current scenes.








In the end it took far less work than I had anticipated, mostly because I had done this exercise before, and it had been a lot more complex the previous time.

Writing a novel can sometimes feel like ironing a really stubborn shirt. Sometimes you have to go over the kinks a few times (and with each successive pass, the kinks get smaller).

I hope you guys are doing well with your novel puzzles!

<3<3<3

11 comments:

  1. ooh yeah, i do this when i write a novel with more than one character POV. I think i wrote a post on it a few years ago... Yep,
    Here it is
    I really like how yours is in the notebook. Makes it all much more compact

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm totally impressed with the work you put in here (I know you said it took less work than anticipated, but still!). Love the analogy of writing/polishing a novel to ironing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea! Will have to try it out sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohmygoodness! i NEED to do this! but i've decided to rework my *cough* entire plot *cough* so, i'm a while away from this... BUT oooohhh!!!!
    i could use this method to outline and plot!!! (uncharted and daunting territory there...) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Sarah—OMG yours is so beat and pretty!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Jess—Thank you so much! :D It really is worth the effort. It helps all the threads to come together in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Cherie—I hope it works for you :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. @aspiring_x—Let me know if I can help at all :D It can feel hugely daunting when the whole thing needs to be reworked. I had to re-write this entire novel once, keeping everything the same except the plot. . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so happy you found my blog, and your post has brightened my day so much. I also love this crazy method of organization; I will definitely need to remember this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @LisaAnn—Loved your blog :) And it works! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, I enjoy seeing how other writers organize themselves. Thanks for this glimpse into your process.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

wibiya widget

Share |